Marine 026/18

Status: Open
Recommendation Date: 
19 September 2018
Recipient Name: 
International Group of P&I Clubs
Text:
The fire on board the Kokopo Chief was caused by radiated heat from an incandescent reflector lamp fitted in a cargo light igniting the timber cargo.

While it is widely known that incandescent reflector lamps produce heat, the findings of this investigation offer valuable information to ship designers, owners and operators to consider when selecting the means of lighting in cargo holds and other parts of their ships. There are equivalent lighting options, such as LED lamps, that do not produce the same high temperatures.

On 19 September 2018 the Commission recommended that the Executive Officer of the International Group of P&I Clubs disseminate the lessons learned from this accident to all of its members and advise them of the potential risk to ship safety posed by lights that radiate high levels of heat.
Reply Text:
[International Group of P&I Clubs] confirm that [we] will notify the relevant Group committees of the Final recommendation 026/18 and provide them with a copy of this so that this can be brought to the attention of the club's loss prevention departments and in turn their shipowner memberships if this has not already been done.
Related Investigation(s):